Well, it’s that time of year when critics are making “best of” lists. I’ve started my own list on Spotify of my top albums of 2012. I probably also will put it on Mog (and will add the link here later). If you don’t have one or the other of these services, you need to get one. Personally, I highly recommend Mog.
So far this is the list:
- 17. Jack White – Blunderbuss
- 16. Fiona Apple - The Idle Wheel Is Wiser…
- 15. Grace Potter – The Lion, The Beast, The Beat
- 14. ZZ Ward – Til’ The Casket Drops
- 13. Rebecca Ferguson – Heaven
- 12. Grimes – Visions
- 11. Tame Impala – Lonerism
- 10. Grizzly Bear – Shields
- 9. Passion Pit – Gossamer
- 8. Baroness – Yellow and Green
- 7. Death Grips – The Money Store
- 6. The Weeknd – Trilogy
- 5. Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
- 4. Miguel – Kaleidescope Dream
- 3. Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
- 2. The Shins – Port Morrow
- 1. Dirty Projectors – Swing Lo Magellan
That last one is far and away my favorite album of the year. It immediately hit me when I first heard the first note on the first song. Not many albums do that. As for the second one, The Shins’ Port Morrow was one of the first albums to which I was introduced through Pitchfork, which is one of the sources I’ve been finding new music. Most all of these bands with a few exceptions were found either using Pitchfork or AllMusic or both.
So what are some of your favorite albums from this year?